I think I’ll journey out some day to wondrous lands afar,
Or even chart a journey to a distant blazing star.
But rest assured that when my journey begs to take its cue,
Always know that when I go, this journey takes you too...
And in the winding route, this journey's bound to bide content,
But most of all take heed - let's make our journey life's event.



from JOURNEY TO BE, by Mark Slaughter

Monday, November 1, 2010

ODE TO THE WOEFUL SOCK, a Sad Knitter's Tale



I spent Sunday at a party for an elementary teacher my Mom knew from her childhood. The teacher was turning 100, and we drove to my Mom's home town in Pennsylvania for a lovely reunion with friends and cousins. I took my knitting, of course, and was knitting away smugly on my sock when tragedy struck and put me in my place pronto! Here is the story:


Oh, knitting friends, do not forego
A hearing of my tale of woe.
Pride always goes before a fall,
And I was surely full of all!
In awe the people watched me knit,
I didn’t have the heart to quit.
My needles flew, I was impressed,
My stitches looked their very best.
I felt so smug, my sock was great,
Until it met an awful fate!
While compliments just flew about,
I pulled the empty needle out
With such a flourish and a flash,
So full of ME, so bold and brash!
And suddenly, I was a jerk.
I’d pulled the needle from the work!
So there I was, with stitches loose,
Just feeling like a silly goose.
Humility came flooding in,
And all that I could do was grin.
I put my work away in shame,
With some excuse, so very lame!
Now I’m no longer flying high,
My sock’s a mess, but I will try
To fix the tangled sock yarn wreck :(
And keep my arrogance IN CHECK!


No comments:

Post a Comment